× Tell us and our members who you are, what you like and why you became a member of this site.
We welcome all new members and hope to see you around a lot!

Topic-icon Introducing myself!

More
8 years 1 month ago #44 by Joan
Replied by Joan on topic Introducing myself!
Dear Dr Sweet, it is a pleasure to welcome you to our forum! We are a small, but enthusiastic group and we look forward to discussing South African nursing history with you.

Thank you for the list of the work you have published - I took the liberty of adding the list to a new General Discussions topic with your name in the title - and commented there.

The aim of our Forum is simply to get South African nurses and nursing students thinking about our history - and hopefully start discussing the influence it had on our professional development. With the hope of creating interest, the discussion page has a number of discussions ranging from reflective to lighthearted "did you know" topics. Obviously I started with the historical sources I had access to , but I look forward to members contributing their unique views and topics.

Joan Esterhuizen, Pretoria

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 1 month ago #42 by Helen Sweet
Introducing myself! was created by Helen Sweet
Hello! I am delighted to have joined this forum having campaigned for years towards such an organisation of nursing history in South Africa. I am a nurse and historian and am currently an associate researcher at the Wellcome Unit for History of Medicine in the University of Oxford. I am a founder member of the U.K. Association for the History of Nursing and have been working on nursing and medical history in the Cape and KZN since the late 1990s doing oral histories, and archival and field research both in South Africa, the U.K. and USA. I am adding (below) a select list of my publications in the hope they may be of some interest and look forward to hearing more about the aims and plans for the forum. Best wishes, Helen Sweet PhD MA, BA, RN RM (FRHS)
Monographs and Edited Volumes
(2009) Mark Harrison, Margaret Jones, Helen Sweet (eds.) From Western Medicine to Global Medicine (Hyderabad: Orient BlackSwan) ISBN 9788125037026
(2009) Katherine Bradley, Helen Sweet (eds.) Women in the Professions, Politics and Philanthropy, 1840-1940 (Oxford: Trafford,) ISBN 9781426911873
(2008) (with Rona Dougal) Community nursing and primary healthcare in Britain in the twentieth century (London/New York: Routledge) ISBN (hdbk) 041595634X (pbk 2012) 9780415541107
Journal Articles and Book Chapters
(2013) ‘A Mission to Nurse: The Mission Hospital’s Role in the Development of Nursing in South Africa c. 1948-1975 ’ in: Pat D’Antonio, Julie Fairman, Jean Whelan, (eds.) Routledge Handbook on the Global History of Nursing (New York: Routledge) pp. 198-217.
(2013) ‘Mission Nursing in the South African Context – the spread of knowledge during the colonial and apartheid periods’ in: Fleischmann, E., Grypma, S., Marten, M., Okkenhaug, I.M. (Eds.) Global Health, Welfare and Humanitarianism: Knowledge Exchanges in a Historical, Transnational Perspective (Oslo: Portal Forlag) pp.137-155.
(2012) (with A. Digby) ‘Social Medicine with Medical Pluralism: The Valley Trust and Botha’s Hill Health Centre, South Africa, 1940s – 2000s’ Social History of Medicine 25:1.
(2010) ‘History of Nursing: nursing identity’ in: Kate Trant, Sue Usher (eds.) Nurse: Past, Present and Future: The Making of Modern Nursing (London: Black Dog Publishing).
(2009) ‘Town Nurse and Country Nurse: viewing an early C20th district nursing landscape using a Lancashire case study’ in Katherine Bradley and Helen Sweet (eds.) ‘Women in the Professions, Politics and Philanthropy c.1840-1940.
(2009) ‘Expectations, Encounters and Ecclesiastics: Mission Medicine in Zululand’ in: Mark Harrison, Margaret Jones and Helen Sweet (eds.) From Western Medicine to Global Medicine: The Hospital Beyond the West (Hyderabad: Orient Longman) 330-359.
(2007) ‘Establishing Connections, Restoring Relationships: Exploring the historiographies of medicine and nursing’ in: Gender and History 19:3 (Autumn 2007):
(2005) ‘Putting South African professional nursing on the world map: Sister Henrietta Stockdale, 1847-1911’ in: Journal of the South African Theatre Nurse OrganisationSpecial Anniversary Issue December 2005 pp. 50-54.
(2004) ‘“Wanted: 16 nurses of the better educated type” – Provision of nurses to South Africa in the early C20th.’ in: Nursing Inquiry 11:3 (September 2004): 176-184.
(2004) (with A. Digby) ‘Feminism, Race, Identity and the Nursing Profession in South Africa’ in New Directions in the History of Nursing. S. McCann, and B. Mortimer, (eds.) (London, Routledge):109-124.
(2001) (with A. Digby) ‘Nurses as Culture Brokers in Twentieth-Century South Africa’ in: Waltraud Ernst (ed.) Plural Medicine, Tradition and Modernity, 1800-2000, (London & New York: Routledge) : 113-129.
(2000) with R. Ferguson ‘Historical Background to District Nursing’ in District Nursing: Principles and Practice, ed S. Lawton, J. Cantrell, and J. Harris, (Churchill Livingstone) pp. 81-97.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HsnAZCus4J

Please Log in to join the conversation.